TEXT: 1 Thessalonians 5:18
Introduction: In spite of what some churches think or eventeach, God has clearly expressed Himself through His Divine Word. It is to this Word that we all must “measure up” one day. One important area of our lives that needs attention is the giving of thanks. When it comes to thanksgiving, how do you measure up? Our text reveals a measurable approach to Thanksgiving and is all-encompassing.
1. THE BREADTH OF THANKSGIVING
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: forthis is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
- You are to uphold a thankful heart in spite of what is going on around you!
- Your situations do not dictate to nor control God in anyway. Regardless of what your eyes see or ears hear, God is still true to His Word and His purposes.
- Some days it may seem that the devil is winning, but he cannot be the ultimate winner because the victory is ours through the finished work of Christ.
2. THE HEIGHT OF THANKSGIVING
1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: forthis isthe will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
- You are to maintain a thankful heart knowing what is going on above you!
- In Heaven, the will of God for us is to be thankful. We are to pray that that will be manifest in our lives here on earth.
- God is ruling and over-ruling. He is still Lord over all.
- God is working all things together for good even though they may not be good.
- God is still God and in charge and has the power to coordinate things toward His purposes.
3. THE DEPTH OF THANKSGIVING
1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this isthe will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
- You are to maintain a thankful heart embracing what is going on within you!
- God really does use what is going on around you to do a deeper work in you.
- It is God who is at work in you both to will and do according to His good pleasure.
He is making you more like Jesus. So we can always be thankful for that and most of all for that!
Conclusion: What is the level of gratitude in your life today? Would it be in order for you to ask the Lord to grace you to let go of any bitterness, complaining, resentment? Could you humble your heart before God right now and thank Him for his abiding love and continued care for you?